Friday, October 3, 2008

Got Me Some Skills!

Well, I decided to be brave and attempt to do some canning. I have zero canning skills. I've never done it by myself, I only helped my Mom when I was a kid. And I use the term "helped" very loosely. On Wednesday, my friend Liz gave me a box of apples and I decided to do applesauce. So I borrowed my friend Tracy's Saucer and my friend Tyra's water bath canner and after scrounging up some jars from my basement, I was ready for the fun to begin. And, again, I use the term "fun" loosely. It was very satisfying, but after about 5 hours, it was no longer fun. Brady took the kids and slept outside in the camper, so it was a one man job. I had to scrub the kitchen in the middle of the night because applesauce hardens into industrial strength glue. (After 6 kids, I've had applesauce on almost every surface imaginable.) But I got everything cleaned up and I was so happy to get some new skills! Here are some pictures of the process:


Then, yesterday, I got another box of apples and decided I would do apple pie filling. Which sounds reasonable, except that I started the project 5 hours before we were supposed to leave for family pictures, thinking "I can do it! It won't take that long." HA! Famous last words. (Insert Brady's "I told you so!") So of course, I'm still slicing apples while hollering instructions to children about what clothes to wear and timing my shower while the last batch is cooking and we were all running late. I did not have time to clean anything, so I left the kitchen looking like this:
But in the end, we got some yummy apple pie filling and had a great time doing our family pictures. We always dread getting our pictures taken. It is just plain awful. Someone is always pouting, someone is always crying, Mommy is always frazzled and Daddy is always mad. But this year, we had our neighbor and friend, Tyra, take them at the university gardens and it was great! The kids liked being outdoors and picking where they wanted their shots. We had to hurry because it was overcast and we were losing light, but we were still able to get a lot of fun shots in. I'm really excited to see how they turn out, especially the individual shots of the kids. We also took some pictures up by the Rexburg temple. In a quiet moment, I looked at all of these people around me, all happy and dressed in matching brown and cream, and realized that they were all mine. And I loved them all and they loved me. I thought my heart was going to swell out of my chest with contentment. It was a fleeting personal moment, but I hang on to those. That's the stuff that moms cling to when we wonder "Why am I doing this again?" So a big thank you to Tyra and also to all my friends who let me borrow and mooch for my canning education. I finally got me some canning skills!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woowoo! I am sooo impressed!:) Those apples were beautiful! As of yet, I am NOT a member of the canning club, but, now I know just where to go if OUR food storage runs out!:)

Dedra said...

I'm not a member of the canning club either, I actually bailed out when my mom wanted my "help" so I can't even be a part of that club. They look good though, good job Amy!

I'm also glad family pics went well, those are some fond memories of childhood...family pictures. Okay, not really. ttfn!

Tyra said...

WAY TO GO!! Thats so much work!
I have posted some pictures on my blog www.momentsbytyra.blogspot.com
I am still in progress with the kids individual shots, I'll get them done this weekend, I hope!

about us said...

Very impressive! Also, good to hear that someone else has family picture stress...maybe it's in our husbands jeans.

5 Brothers Farms said...

How are you guys? Are you spending the holidays in this neck of the woods?

Dedra said...

Tag, You're it! http://cheneychatter.blogspot.com/